Friday, May 20, 2011

Why do I tri?

A simple question with many different answers.

The simple and most obvious answer is that it keeps me healthy. Physically I am in the best shape of my life. Consistent training will do that for you. Mentally it has strengthened my capacity to deal with challenging situations, and more importantly focus on the present.

Peel another layer on this onion and I will tell you that I am a competitive person. This description can conjure up scary images of Double A Type, sore loser, win at all cost personalities. That's not me.

Don't misunderstand...I do not like losing, I do not like under performing; but if I did not put in the work, or someone simply out performed, then I'll be the first to shake their hand. I am competitive with myself first, then I compete against others. Triathlon gives me this opportunity because it is me against the clock.

So let's peel another layer. I see myself as an athlete. I've played many sports - team and individual. I love the physicality of being an athlete, the camaraderie of teammates, of pushing my body, going to practice or training.

Going deeper it becomes more interesting as it gets to the psychology of me. I like the fact that it differentiates me.

Triathlon, while growing in popularity, is still a sport that is not understood by the majority. Say you are a runner and people nod and move on. Say you are a triathlete and see what happens. Raised eyebrows, questions about distances, why we wear skin tight clothing, why we train in the rain, do we ever eat junk food etc., are only a few of the questions.

Beyond the physical and psychological aspects triathlon has allowed my wife and I to see the world - not the expected places, but places you never heard of - some of the most beautiful places you could imagine, whether in our province, our country or half way around the world.

So that's why I tri.

Will you tri?

Keep tri'n

No comments:

Post a Comment