Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What does it take to tri?

First, thanks to those who have read my first three posts. While the numbers are still small I'm heartened by the fact that someone has taken the time to read my thoughts. Input is appreciated, and if there is a topic that you want discussed...let me know...I'd be happy to give you my thoughts.

So back to the topic at hand.

Let me start with a story. A while ago at the gym, a young buck was speaking about his recent workout. He lifted a ton of weight, ran insane inclines on the treadmill, and did hundreds of pull ups. But the really interesting thing was the question he posed to his locker buddy. "Was there one way to becoming/being fit?"

Being a bit nosy, I walked around the corner to give him my answer. I wasn't sure he was expecting any sort of answer, let alone from me (a stranger), but I told him that in my opinion the answer to his question is yes. Want to know what it is? Commitment and Consistency.

"But what about all the different exercises?", he asked. "Commitment and Consistency are what will get you to do the exercises", I replied. You can choose the appropriate exercises and sessions for your activity, but if you are not Committed and you do not train Consistently, what you do will not really matter.

Ever wonder why diet programs and gyms do so well...they know that most of their Clients are not Committed or Consistent.

So what do these two words mean? For me they mean this:

(i) Commitment comes down to setting a goal and being prepared to do the work to make that happen. Sometimes you can get others to help your commitment, but at the end of the day it comes down to you.

(ii) Consistency comes down to not taking short cuts, of putting in the time, and putting in the work - repeatedly.

So if you are interested in doing a tri, or any type of activity for that matter, I suggest that the first two questions you need to ask are.

Can I commit?

Can I what it takes consistently?

If the answers to both questions are Yes, then you are on a great platform to begin your journey.

If you have one or two No's, then try to determine what it will take to make them a Yes. Is it you? Do you have track record or staring things hot, and burning out? Is it something else - work or family requirements? Is it an injury or some other physical / health issue that needs to be treated.

So whether you are new to the sport, or a seasoned veteran, ask your self, do you have what it takes to tri?

Until next time, keep tri'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment