Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Becoming a rider for a month: TDF Challenge Update

As I wrote last week, I've undertaken a challenge to ride each day the Tour de France rides.  This would be 21 days of riding over a span of 23 days.

The purpose was to build some volume, add some spice to training, help improve my riding, and strengthen my mental game.

So after the first 10 days of the Tour de France (1 Prologue and 9 stages) I can say that I am right on track.  
Over that time I've covered 275 km and climbed over 1000 m.     This represents an increase of over 200% to my current cycling volume.

It's been interesting to see the changes over the first half of the challenge.  

But before we get into that let me state that I am really enjoying this challenge.  I think that it has opened my eyes and mind to different ways of training and  I will be more willing to try different methods to achieve results.

I have an Oly Tri this weekend and I'll be interested to see how things unfold in the bike and run segments giving this challenge.  I'll write a review on that next week.

So let's review the past 10 days:

Days 1 - 4
I was fresh and really charged up.   Ready to roll, and push the effort whenever possible.

Days 5 - 8
Over time cumulative fatigue and mental strain began to build. 

The negative thoughts of skipping a day begin to creep in, especially if you need to get up early to get the ride in because of commitments later in the day.  

While I have experienced those thoughts I'm lucky that I ride with a group a few mornings a week and I've told enough people about the challenge that it keeps me committed to achieving my challenge.

I also became more selective on work load during a ride, and focused on technique.

Days 9 - 10
With a rest day on the horizon the efforts picked up, and mentally I was fresher.

So here are some parting thoughts:

1) A challenge should be hard but still achievable.  If it is too easy it is not a challenge.
2) Do not be afraid to challenge yourself.    You are stronger than you may think.  Only when pushed will you see this.
3) I am lucky to have a support network to help me achieve my goal.
4) I appreciate even more the stress and rigours of professional bike riders.  The mental sharpness that must be maintained.  The fatigue of pushing oneself to the brink each day, and having to do it over and over.  And the need to recover well.

So wish me luck on the next number of days, and good luck on what ever challenge you choose.  Maybe you want to complete the remainder of the TDF challenge with me.  Give it some thought.

Until next time, keep tri'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment