Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Nature of Disappointment

Over the past few days Canadian triathletes experienced profound disappointment at the London Olympics.  Paula Findlay finished in last place, and Simon Whitfield did not even get the opportunity to complete his race after crashing only 30 seconds into the bike leg of the race.

What makes it difficult for Simon is that this is most likely his last Olympic event, and maybe even his last triathlon.   It is not certain that he would have won, or even made the podium, but what he wanted most was to show his stuff to the world.  And to see how all the training, sacrifice, and effort would have been measured against the rest of the field.

Paula entered the race with no race situations for the past 12-months. Maybe she was simply fooling herself.  Maybe she should not have even stepped up to the start line?  But true competitors will never back away from a challenge.  Regardless it was crystal clear that she felt the pressure of  disappointing others - family, coaches, teammates, and Canada.   That certainly is a great deal of pressure for a 20-something.


I'm in no way comparing myself to these two world class athletes in terms of ability, but I understand what they may be feeling.

Like Simon, I also have a DNF.  It was at an Olympic Distance race in Corner Brook, NL in 2005 and my body would not co-operate, and after a tough bike lap I pulled the chute and handed my bib to an official.  As soon as I handed it in I wished I did not.  It felt awful being in transition packing up my things as others were still on course.  And it was even worse at the athletes dinner having to tell people I DNF'ed.  I vowed then that I would never again DNF.

And a little later that year I experienced what Paula did at Ironman Canada.  Even going in to the event prepared my body shut down - dehydration - during the race and I had to struggle across the finish line in over 16 hours.    It was a dreadful run leg - cramping, stumbling.  But I heard my name called, got a medal, and finisher t-shirt.  And a few hours in the medical tent.  But I finished.  And even though my time goal was not achieved I averted a major disappointment.
 
So the question I asked myself is how should we view disappointment? 

First, I think it is naive to think that we will go through our lives without disappointment. 

Second there are will be major and minor disappointments.  Don't make a minor disappointment into a major one.

Third, it's how you deal with the disappointment that you'll be measured by.  We are allowed some time mourn if you will but do you  let the bitterness consume you?  NO!  Disappointment is simply a new motivator.

And finally, let's reshape our view of disappointment by reassessing how we measure ourselves.  Perhaps we are not managing our expectations, investing too much in the wrong things, acting in unhealthy ways. Instead of using finishing times as a measure perhaps we should measure if we really gave our all, or if we finishing in a healthy and uninjured state.  Or instead of a placement perhaps we should measure ourselves against how we executed our race plan. 

So if you've had some disappointment with your recent training, races etc. take a step back and determine how you are looking at / dealing with the disappointment.   You may just surprise your self and get back on the positive track.

Until next time, keep tri'n.


No comments:

Post a Comment